Who doesn’t like a good pineapple upside-down cake? How about an ice cream sundae, or even better, a sundae with cake in it? A pineapple upside-down cake is a pound cake that has some of my favorite fruits on it, pineapples and cherries, mixed with butter and sugar on top of the cake. The fun thing about this cake is that when it is done baking, it is turned over and served upside-down. Add some ice cream with the cake and you have yourself one delicious dessert to enjoy. What’s a better dessert to have than some ice cream with cake and pineapples and cherries on top? If you love pineapple upside-down cakes and sundaes, then this is the perfect dessert for you.
Who doesn’t like to have to ice cream with their cake or even better, an ice cream cake? Ice cream and cake go really well together as the creamy and coldness of the ice cream cools down the soft and warmth of the cake. It’s a good dessert to end a great day with your family and friends. Follow the recipe below to make a delicious cup of a pineapple upside-down cake sundae.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pineapple or canned pineapple tidbits (juice pack), drained
- 1 pint dulce de leche or vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 of a 10 3/4-ounce loaf frozen pound cake, thawed and coarsely crumbled and, if desired, toasted*
- Whipped cream
- 4 maraschino cherries with stems
- In a small heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, honey and cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Add pineapple. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Scoop ice cream into four dishes. Top with crumbled cake, warm pineapple mixture, whipped cream and a cherry. Serve immediately.
Tip: * To toast pound cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread crumbled pound cake pieces on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
When you are craving ice cream and something sweet, why not make a pineapple upside-down cake sundae? It serves four people, so it’s perfect to share with your group of friends or family of four. Enjoy a pineapple upside-down cake sundae when you are hanging out with friends or having fun with the family.
Inspired by: http://bit.ly/1kUpXJF