Graduation is right around the corner. Graduates are getting excited to finish up school and go on their next adventure. They look forward to having a party to celebrate their accomplishments and have some support for their future endeavors. For the person hosting the party, it can be quite stressful thinking of food, decorations, and items to host a fun, relaxing party. For many parties, the dessert is the best part, the highlight of the party, and what people are most excited about. Finding a dessert that you think will be a big hit can be overwhelming. No need to fear; I’m here to share a fun and cute dessert that will sure get people excited to eat. A recipe for graduation cupcakes; cupcakes with a graduation cap on top of them.
I made these cupcakes for my brother’s graduation party and everyone loved them. I dyed the cupcakes and the frosting the school colors to represent the school he graduated from and placed chocolate squares on top to serve as a graduation cap. Follow the recipe below to make a batch of Graduation Cupcakes.
- 1 Package (about 18 ounces) white cake mix*
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 container (8 oz) apple sauce
- 3 egg whites*
- Food coloring in school colors
- 1 container (16 ounces) white frosting
- 22 chocolate squares
- Gummy candy stripes (I used Twizzlers pull ‘n’ peel)
- 22 mini candy-coated chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 22 standard muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Beat cake mix, water, apple sauce and egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until blended. Tint batter with one food coloring, a few drops at a time, until desired shade is reached. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick is inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack; cool completely.
- Tint frosting in small bowl with other food coloring, a few drops at a time, until desired shade is reached. Frost cupcakes.
- Place chocolate square on top of each cupcake. Place small dab of frosting in center of squares; attach candy stripes for tassel and chocolate piece for button.
Makes 22 cupcakes
What is fun about this recipe is that you get to add color to the cupcakes and make them stand out. You also get to decorate them in a fun way that will get people excited when they see them. It’s a dessert that everyone will enjoy and be inspired to make for their own graduation party.
*NOTE: Make sure to use white cake mix and egg whites for the color to stand out. Egg yolks will change the color of the cake.*
Inspired by: “The Cupcake Bible”