With Easter around the corner, I am seeing more and more Easter-themed treats lately, especially with carrots. I have made carrot cupcakes before. This time, I decided to try something different and make frosted carrot cake cookies.
Carrot-Cake Cookies (adapted from Martha Stewart recipe, yields 18 cookies)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats (I use Quaker Oats)
- 3/4 cup packed, finely grated, peeled carrots
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, sugars, and egg yolk.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, and salt. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet. Mix in oats and carrots.
- Form 1 tablespoon balls on the lined tray and flatten each ball with palm of our hand. Cookie dough should be 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to let cool.
- For cream cheese frosting: combine softened butter, cream cheese, sugars, and vanilla until combined.
Jamie’s tips for this recipe:
- I would use a little less ginger next time; the spice was slightly overpowering the carrot flavor. Next time, I might also incorporate other spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg, which were ingredients in my carrot cupcakes recipe.
- Shred the carrots by using a grater, mandoline, or food processor.
- Frosting is a must, in order to balance the spice in the cookies. I like to frost the cookies overnight, which gives it a slightly harder texture. If this was a cupcake recipe, I would frost cupcakes fresh before serving.
- The cookies themselves are not very attractive. Highly recommend frosting different designs and swirls for a “prettier” look. Maybe add a carrot twist for decor?
- Feel free to make carrot cookie sandwiches with the frosting!
If you’re a fan of carrot desserts, definitely give this recipe a try! My coworkers finished them in record time!