A sherbet shaped like a watermelon? Yes please! Originally the word, sherbet, was referred to as a cold drink made with sweetened and diluted fruit juice. In the U.S., the word now most commonly refers to a frozen dessert made with milk (or cream) and flavored usually with fruit juice, with egg white or gelatin sometimes added. By federal regulation, in the US, sherbet must contain between exactly 1% and 2% butterfat.
It’s the fruiter version of ice cream that tastes delicious and is great to have on a summer’s day. You get the sweet, fruity flavors in each bite of your cold and creamy dessert. What’s great about sherbet is that you can shape it any way you want, such as a watermelon shape to create the illusion that you are eating a watermelon. Follow the recipe below to make Watermelon Shaped Raspberry Lime Sherbet.
- 2 pints lime sherbet, slightly softened
- 6 ounces miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2-gallon raspberry sherbet, slightly softened
- Line a serving bowl with plastic wrap. Spoon lime sherbet into the bowl, smoothing it out to be 1/2-inch-thick along the sides, making the watermelon rind. Place bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir the chocolate chips evenly into the raspberry sherbet. Scoop the raspberry sherbet into the lime sherbet shell, smoothing off and leveling the top. Return bowl to the freezer.
- To serve, invert the bowl onto a serving plate. Lift off bowl and remove plastic wrap. Freeze again for 1 hour if the sherbet is too soft. Slice pieces like a watermelon.
The sherbet “watermelon” should slide easily out of the plastic wrap-lined bowl. But if help is needed, invert the bowl onto a serving plate, wet a cotton towel with hot water, wring out the water, and briefly wrap the towel over the bowl to take the chill off. Remove the towel, lift off the bowl, and peel off the plastic wrap.
When you want something fruity and cold, you can make some sherbet to satisfy your taste buds. It’s a great dessert to have during the summer, but you can also have it when you just want something cold, fruity, and sweet. Make some Watermelon Shaped Raspberry Lime Sherbet for the whole family, including your kids and your kids’ friends to enjoy.
Inspired by: http://armagazine.com/2Guz45U