In the U.S. people tend to think of Mexican food when they hear the word tortillas. But in Barcelona, the word has a complete different meaning. A tortilla there is similar to an omelet, and is often made with potatoes. Tortilla de Patatas is a really common item to find at restaurants in Spain, either as a breakfast food or as an appetizer before a meal. But you don’t have to travel to Spain to experience what they taste like! Here’s how to make your own. The serving size will feed four people.
- 10 oz of potatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 eggs
- olive oil
- Peel and slice the potatoes, very thinly.
- Peel the onion, then slice it.
- Cover the potatoes in olive oil, then fry them at a medium temperature.
- When the potatoes are half way done, add the onion to the pan.
- Continue to let the potatoes and onion cook until they are both soft, then season with salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Pour the potatoes and onion into the bowl, then mix them with the eggs.
- Poor the mixture back into the pan, and cook until the bottom begins to brown.
- Flip it over, and heat until the uncooked side is browned as well.
- Remove from the pan and enjoy!