Scones are one of the few sweets that taste good no matter what’s inside of it. There’s so many different ingredients you can have inside a scone that allows it to still taste delicious. You can have chocolate chip scones, raisin scones, orange and cranberry scones, and so on. Scones are kind of like a cookie, but it’s a soft bread-like cookie. They are pretty similar to biscuits with the same flavor as bread and the same soft texture. They are a delicate and flakey sweet. Scones are good to have for breakfast as well as dessert. Try this recipe for raisin scones, but you can replace the raisins with any ingredient you like.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup raisins (or dried currants)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
- Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
- Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.
If you’re looking for something flakey with a little bit of flavor to have for breakfast, try this recipe for scones. A soft bread-like sweet with something delicious (raisins, chocolate, etc.) in each bite. Perfect to grab when you’re on-the-go and need something right away. Just grab a scone and eat it as you go.
Inspired By: http://armagazine.com/2e9zFAA