National Potato Day is happening soon on August 19. In honor of this food holiday, here’s a recipe for a delicious potato dish – scalloped hasselback potato – that I made a while ago. I love the cheesiness and crispy skin of these potatoes (thanks to olive oil). It’s a different take on the loaded baked potato, yet so so good. Plus, it’s simple to create. It’s comfort food that’s perfect for the upcoming fall season.
Scalloped Hasselback Potatoes Recipe (yields 2 servings, time: 1 hour 10 min):
- 2 whole golden potaotes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 piece (2″ long) parmigiano-reggiano, sliced thinly
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub potatoes.
- Slice the potato into thin slices without cutting all the way through. You can use two wooden spoons (with handles of the same width) to balance the potato.
- Slice butter into thin pieces. Alternate butter & parmesan slices, stuffing them in between the slices of the potato. Season the potato with garlic powder and kosher salt. Drizzle the potato with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle heavy cream over the potatoes. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Place back in the oven for 10-12 more minutes. Remove and serve with sour cream; garnish with parsley or chives.
- Be very careful when slicing the potatoes! They can be pretty wobbly – even when resting on the spoons.
- When inserting butter or cheese slices, carefully open up the potato slices wider, or else they’ll break right off.
- Enjoy this side dish with a meaty entree.
Happy National Potato Day from Boston Bakes!